We enjoy having soup for lunch from September to May and having a few ready made homemade mixes makes things simpler on those busy days. I have made homemade recipe into a dried mix some years ago and have upgraded the recipe to include yellow split peas after seeing other bloggers with similar “soup in a jar” recipes.
Pea Soup Mix in a Mason Jar
- one quart size mason jar with lid
- 1 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas
- 1 1/2 cups dried green split peas
- 1/2 cup dried orange or red lentils
- 6 teaspoons of Knorr Chicken Flavor Bouillon ( check that it is gluten free or substitute with a gluten free chicken bouillon)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons powdered celery seed (I grind/powder celery seed in my vita mix or a coffee grinder)
- 2 teaspoons smoked Paprika
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt – I add this last teaspoon of salt after it has cooked. Taste it and add salt if required.
Instructions: Using a funnel and a completely dry mason jar :
add the green split peas
add the yellow split peas
add the lentils
Place remaining seasonings into a mini zip lock bag. Place bag of seasonings on top of the pea mixture. Screw lid on tightly.
To Use: Open jar. Remove seasoning bag and set aside. Pour peas and lentils into colander and rinse under cool running water.
Slow Cooker method: Place rinsed peas/lentils into large slow cooker. Add the contents of the seasoning bag. Add 12 cups water. Stir . Place lid on slow cooker and cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low for 12 hours Until peas are soft.
Instant Pot method: Place rinsed peas/lentils into large instant pot or similar pot. Add seasonings. Add water. Cook on the pressure cook option on high for 15 – 18 minutes (follow pressure cooking instructions that come with pot). When I did 18 minutes the peas and lentils were completely soft and once stirred it was like a pureed soup. I like my peas to be soft and yet hold their shape – soup is not as thick that way. Pressure cook for less time if you like a chunkier soup.
Add diced smoked sausage or ham to soup before cooking.
**If you prefer to use only green or only yellow split peas just make sure the total still adds up to 3 1/2 cups dried peas. I have made the same soup using only lentils ( 3-4 cups worth) – cooking time is less.**