This is a tasty meal that is lower in carbs. Easy to make – one dish meal. Serves 2
- 8 pork sausage links (I use pure pork breakfast sausage from Costco)
- 3 large green peppers sliced into strips
- 2 small roma tomatoes, sliced into chunks – about 1 cup at most.
- 1/2 cup of onion diced large
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. bacon fat (optional but gives nice flavour)
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp. – 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. – 1/4 tsp. sambal oelek or a drop or two hot sauce
- optional – cauliflower rice (or if not low carb use regular rice – I like as is without “rice”)
Slice up pork sausage into 1/2″ slices. Slice peppers into strips and onion into chunks.
On medium heat – Heat oil/bacon fat in large sauce pan. Add pork sausage and cook until done – 5 -10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add onion and peppers and stir fry over medium high heat. Stir in seasonings and tomato paste and continue to cook over medium heat for about 3 min. or until peppers are just getting tender.
For a low carb meal eat as is – adding more hot sauce if you like. If you are not low carb then serve over a bed of rice or cauliflower rice.
Without the rice/cauliflower rice My Fitness Pal logs it in as:
- 439 calories per serving
- Total Carbohydrate 17 g
- Dietary Fiber 4 g