This recipe comes to us from the Vanderwoud family and has become one of our favourites.
- 1 kg frozen broccoli, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts cut in strips or chopped in cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock – see notes below to make without chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons flour (if gluten free use rice flour)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Lightly oil 9 x 13 casserole dish. Spread broccoli in dish. Saute chicken in oil until light brown. Set aside. In saucepan wisk flour, chicken stock, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder together. Bring to a boil. Pour over the broccoli. Top with the chicken. Sprinkle on cheddar. Wrap and Freeze. If eating right away bake at 350 for 35- 45 minutes until bubbling and broccoli is tender.
To bake – thaw and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.
** Read Notes**
- 2 bags of Costco fresh broccoli in the 2lb size makes 3 recipes. To use place half a bag of broccoli in 8 cup glass measurer with 1/4 cup water. Cook on high 4 minutes. Repeat until all broccoli is steamed and divide between 3 pans.
- To make 3 recipes I used 1 kg frozen chicken breast and sliced into cubes while partially frozen. I placed a little flour in a bag and tossed the meat to lightly coat. Then stir fry in hot oil a little at a time. Once all the meat is done set aside. Instead of using chicken stock I added 10 cups water to the drippings in the sauce pan and added 5 x the remaining sauce ingredients . Stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen the drippings into the sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Let cool completely. Divide over the 3 casserole dishes, top with diced chicken and cheese . Wrap well to freeze. Thaw in fridge a day or two ahead of time. A very cold casserole will take longer than 45 minutes probably 1 hour or a little more.