Gingerbread Men Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar ( icing sugar)
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cups shortening or butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (this is correct)
- 1 1/2 cup amaranth flour or sorghum flour
- 1 cups potato starch
- 1 cups sweet rice flour
- 2 cups white rice flour or brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoons xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Baking Powder.
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon cloves
Preheat oven to 325*. Mix together the dry ingredients with a wisk until well combined. Set aside.
Cream together the sugars, shortening (or butter or margarine), eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the flour mixture a cup at a time stirring with a wooden spoon or with your mixer’s dough hook. Stir until all the flour mixture is incorporated. Remove to counter or table top that has been dusted with rice flour. Knead and fold the dough a bit. The dough should be able to be gathered into a ball.
- For roll out/cut out cookies chill the dough for about an hour. then you can either dust your table top with sweet rice flour or roll the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap to 1/8″ for crispy or 1/4″ for soft cookies. Bake at 325 for 10 – 12 minutes or until light brown.
You do not have to use all the dough at once. Just wrap it well and store in freezer. The baked cookies freeze well. If left at room temperature in a container for more than 3-4 days they will dry out.